The district of Raebareli,
which was created by the British in 1858, is named after its headquarters
town. Tradition has it that the town was founded by the Bhars and
was known as Bharauli or Barauli which in course of time got changed
into Bareli. The prefix, Rae, is said to come from Rahi, a village
5km west of the town. It is also said that the prefix, Rae, represents
Rae, the common title of the Kayasths who were masters of the town
for a considerable period of time.
Since about the begining
of the medival level period of Indian history the region lying
in the south of the district of Raebareli , has been known as
avadh or subhah of avadh. In the north it streches as far as
to the foothills of the Himalayas and in the south as far as
to the Ganga. There is no doubt that the district has been civilised
and life settled since very early times.
The Quit India movement
was inagurated on August 8, 1942 and the district did not lag
behind others. Again there was mass arrests, imposition of collective
fines, lathi charges and police firing. At Sareni the police
opened fire at an agitated crowd, killed and maimed many. The
people of this district enthusiastically respond to the call
of individual Satyagragha. At last, on August 15,1947, the country
shook off the foreign yoke and achieved its long-awaited independence.
Raebareli celeberated the event with benefiting glee and rejoicing
in every home along with the rest of the country.
At the begining of
the 13th century, what is now Raebareli and the tracts around
it were ruled by the Bhars who were displaced by the Rajputs
and in a few cases, by some Muslim colonists. The south western
part of the district was occupied by the Bais rajputs. The Kanpurias
and Amethias, other rajput clans, established themselves respectively
in the north east and east. During the rule of the Delhi sultans,
nearly the whole tract nominally formed a part of their kingdom.
During the reign of Akbar the area now covered by the district
was divided between the sirkars of Avadh and Lucknow in the subah
of Allahabad, the sirkar of Manikpur which included the larger
part of the district as it extended from the present Mohanlal
ganj pargana of district Lucknow on the north west to the Ganga
on the south and to pargana Inhauna on the north east. The pargana
of Inhauna corresponded to a mahal of that name in the sirkar
of Avadh. The parganas of Sareni, Khireoon and the western portion
of the pargana of Raebareli formed part of the sirkar of Lucknow.
In 1762, the sirkars of Manikpur was included in the territory
of Avadh and was placed under a chakladar.
In 1858, it was proposed
to form a new district with head quarters at Raebareli, as a
part of the Lucknow Division. The district, as then constituted,
was very different in shape and size from the existing one and
was divided into four tehsils, Raebareli, Haidergargh, Bihar
and Dalmau. This arrangement resulted in a district of very irregular
shape, 93 kms long and 100 kms broad. In 1966, owing to the change
in the course of the Ganga the villages of katia Ahatima, Rawat
pur, Ghiya, Mau, Sultanpur Ahetmali, Kishunpur, Deomai and lauhgi
were transferred from district Fatehpur to pargana Sareni of
tehsil Dalmau in this district.